Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Cranston Police.

Officer Dyanna Detroia reported she was dispatched to the K-mart store on Garfield Avenue on July 29 to take custody of a shoplifting suspect. She said loss prevention at the store said she entered the store with an empty diaper bag and went to the shoe department, where she selected three pairs of shoes, two of which she concealed in the bag and the third pair she placed on her feet. They said she then went to other areas of the store, where she concealed more merchandise in the bag. They told Detroia they recovered 23 items from the suspect worth a total of $274.94. Detroia said she learned the suspect, identified as Rouba Khouri, 25, of 497 Farmington Ave., Cranston, had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in District Court. She was charged with shoplifting and later released on $1,000 personal recognizance.
Officer Ryan Dimbleby reported he was dispatched to the Stop & Shop on Garfield Ave. for a report of a female shoplifter fighting with loss prevention agents for the store. He was en route when he heard she was going north on Garfield toward the police station and he stopped the suspect’s Jeep near the Sanford-Brown school and told the suspect to turn off the engine and get out of the car, but she refused and started screaming and yelling and then threw a box of eggs at him. He said he and another officer had to forcibly take her out of the car and she continued to resist as officers tried to subdue her and eventually put handcuffs on her. Loss prevention told Dimbleby she left the store without paying for items she concealed. Angela M. Ferrer, 41, of 118 Prudence St., Providence, was charged with shoplifting and resisting arrest and held on $1,000 surety bail because she was already out on bail for a prior charge of shoplifting.

A Cranston man was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct on July 29 after police arrived to investigate a report of a fight at 1635 Cranston St. around 2 a.m. Officer Jonathan Quaranto reported they were approaching the address when they saw the man bolt from the scene and run toward the back of the building. Quaranto said he arrested him after a short chase and brought him back to his cruiser. He said other people there told him the man came to a party already drunk and possibly on drugs and started picking fights with people until one of the people punched him in the mouth and started wrestling with him. The other man told police the suspect bit him on his arm and leg during the struggle. Quaranto reported that the man had a bloody lip and a large bite on his left bicep and a mark on his thigh. The other man refused to press charges against Gian Mattiello, 18, of 66 Salem St., whom Quaranto said he knew from prior, similar contacts, but he was charged with disorderly conduct and issued a summons at Rhode Island Hospital, where he was taken to treat his bloody nose.

Officer David Jubinville reported giving a ticket to a Providence man after he stopped him on Route 10 for doing 85 in a 50 mile-per-hour zone around 1 a.m. on July 29. He said the man apologized to him for going so fast and handed him a Rhode Island ID card because his license had been suspended as of March of this year for failing to appear in District Court. Jubinville said he gave the man a summons for driving on a suspended license and called a tow for his car. He said he offered Martin Becerril, 43, of 78 Wisdom St., Providence, a ride, but he refused and told him he would walk to a friend’s house instead.

Officer Andrew Korkuc reported he accompanied Cranston Rescue for a call about a confused older man who was reportedly lying on the side of the road on Scituate Avenue on July 28. Korkuc said they saw a car pulled over in the westbound lane of the road about a half-mile into the town of Scituate. He said they went to investigate and saw the older man standing beside the passenger door of the car. He said the driver identified herself and said she was the person who called because she was concerned about the man lying in the road and stopped to see if he was hurt. Korkuc said the man became very agitated and belligerent and smelled of alcohol and had a small bottle of vodka in his pocket. He said Scituate Police and Hope Jackson Rescue arrived and they let them take over from there.

Officer Matthew Ricci reported he was on his way to a fire around 10 p.m. on July 27 when he saw two motorcycles traveling at a high rate of speed. He said he got behind them and clocked them at 60 miles per hour on Pontiac Avenue before they crossed the double yellow lines to pass a car in front of them and then onto Fordson Avenue without using directionals. He said one of the motorcycles pulled to the side of the road when he saw Ricci but the other one continued on. He said the one that stopped gave him the name of the one that didn’t and Ricci went to the address of the second rider the next day. He said he was familiar with the rider from prior contacts and knew that he had been stopped by several other law enforcement agencies on the same motorcycle. He said the driver denied he drove the bike the night before and said a friend borrowed it, but when Ricci informed him that the other rider identified him the night before, he admitted it was him and took the ticket for speeding, illegal passing and not using a turn signal. Ricci said the man had a mandatory court date because it was his fourth ticket within a 12-month period.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment