Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Cranston Police

Two men were charged with assault on Jan. 1 after a Warwick couple told police they beat them up in the parking lot of Uncle Tony’s Pizza on Oaklawn Avenue. Officer Jonathan Quaranto said he responded to the parking lot and found the couple sitting in their car. He said the man had lacerations and swelling on his face and his 34-year-old female companion had abrasions on her arms she said were sustained when she tried to help her companion. The 36-year-old Warwick man told Quaranto he was driving toward Warwick on Oaklawn around 1:15 a.m. when a man ran across the street from the Mardi Gras nightclub. He said he almost struck the pedestrian and got out to see if the man was hurt and that was when the man and his friend started yelling at him and proceeded to beat him up. He said they punched him until he fell on the ground and then they kicked him in the head. The couple pointed to two males near the entrance of the parking lot who were about to leave when Officer Matt Davis detained them.
Davis reported that the two suspects were “covered in blood and had lacerations and swelling on their knuckles. Quaranto said the two men smelled of alcohol. He said one of them told him he was crossing the street and was almost hit by a car; and that the driver got out and started arguing with him, but he denied that there was a fight. He said the other man said he was too drunk and could not remember the whole story but claimed the woman punched him in the face while he was helping his friend.
Rescue arrived and the man and his girlfriend went to Kent Hospital for treatment. Mark G. Mezzini, 27, who apparently told police he lived at 34 Gator Lake Bv. in Warwick, was charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct. His companion, Michael J. Lindia, 23, of 11 Dedford St. in East Greenwich, was similarly charged. They were later released on $5,000 personal recognizance and ordered to have no contact with the couple who filed charges against them.

Officer Wayne Decosta reported he was heading east on Phenix Avenue around 11:30 p.m. on Dec. 28 when he saw a Jeep traveling west at a high rate of speed. He said he used his radar to clock the Jeep at 44 miles per hour in a 25 mile-per-hour zone. He said he also noticed it did not have a front license plate and he followed the car into the parking lot of a closed CVS store. He said he ran the back plate on the Jeep and learned it was issued to a 2002 BMW. He said he asked the driver for his license and the paperwork for the car and the driver told him he recently bought the car but didn’t have a bill of sale. Decosta said the man showed him a Rhode Island ID card and a temporary insurance card for the car. He said he then ran a check on the driver and got back an outstanding warrant for failure to appear for a payment review on a suspended license charge out of District Court. Irving A. Medina, 24, of 943 Dyer Ave. was charged with driving on a suspended license, driving an unregistered vehicle, speeding, an inspection violation and improper use of license plates. He was later released on $1,000 personal recognizance.

Officer Michael Long reported he was on patrol around 3:15 a.m. on Jan. 1 when he clocked a car doing 68 miles per hour on Route 10 while it swerved form lane to lane after entering I-95 north. He said he pulled the car over and made contact with the driver and she smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. Long said she took a field sobriety test that she failed and he arrested her on suspicion of drunk driving. He said she took a breath test at headquarters and although she said she only had “a few beers,” she registered a .206 and .214 blood alcohol content, “almost triple the .08 legal limit.” Ami Perez, 22, of 3 Salmon St. in Providence was charged with DUI, issued a summons and later released to a sober adult.
Earlier that morning, around 12:50 a.m., Officer Long assisted at an accident investigation at the intersection of Bateman and East Street. He said another officer suspected that one of the drivers was intoxicated and asked Long to look into it. He said he saw the driver leaning against a silver Ford Taurus that was sitting on someone’s front lawn with heavy front-end damage. He said the other officer informed him that the Taurus was heading toward East Street on Bateman when it collided with the Jeep Cherokee that was parked on the other side of Bateman Avenue. The other officer said that the driver of the Taurus already told him he had just left the Mardi Gras, which was at the corner of Bateman and Oaklawn Avenue. Long said he determined that the driver wasn’t injured and then asked him to take a field sobriety test. He said the man smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. Long said he gave the driver some special consideration for a hip surgery he said was done in 1991 but even then gave indications that he was intoxicated. He said the one leg stand had the driver using his arms to try to balance and hopping to keep his balance until he had to put his foot down. Stephen R. Cole, 45, of 314 East St. in Cranston, was charged with DUI and refusal when he would not take a breath test at headquarters.
Officer Anthony Sassone McHugh reported he was dispatched to an accident scene at Wilbur and Natick Avenues around 1 a.m. on Dec. 29 to conduct a field sobriety test on one of the drivers. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said the driver failed the test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. Sassone McHugh said the driver, identified as Richard D. Valles, 59, of 19 Brett Dr. in Foster, refused a breath test at headquarters and was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Michael Long investigated another suspected drunk driver on Dec. 28 after he got a call about a suspected drunk driver that had pulled into the Shell station. He said he was approaching the station when he saw the suspect vehicle driving out of the lot with one wheel over the sidewalk and then across the double yellow lines. Long said he pulled it over just as it went over the city line into Providence. He said he saw the driver pour something onto the street as he approached. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver, identified as Jordan David Rebello, 25, of 48 Barney St. in East Providence, failed the field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he blew a .156 and a .168 blood alcohol content on the breath test. He was charged with DUI and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment